Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Round Four: Censorship is a bitch!


  
“Is this the curse of modernity, to live in a world without judgment, without perspective, no context for understanding or distinguishing what is real and what is imagined, what is manipulated and what is by chance beautiful, what is shadow and what is flesh?” 
                                                                                 ~Terry Tempest Williams~


   Peggy is Marcelle’s mother.  She comes from a wealthy West End family.  She has a successful business in landscape architecture and is a woman who has full control over everything surrounding her life……..including her husband.  I am not sure when she moved from the West End to Charlottesville, or why.  I always assumed it was because she met her first husband, a prominent attorney in the 70’s and 80’s named Eaton.  I know that Eaton came from an extremely wealthy New England family (I have actually visited his family farm for a weekend………I felt like a Kennedy while there) and he was a very prominent figure in his community.  There is a bench in front of the Charlottesville courthouse honoring him for his duties to the city.  They were married young and had children young.  Peggy was very beautiful, and I say this because when you look at pictures of her in her 20’s she looks EXACTLY like Marcelle, and I do mean exactly like her.  Eaton is not Marcelle’s father.  In fact Marcelle has never even met Eaton because he passed away years before she was born, however, we will come back to that.  Marcelle has an older half brother and an older half sister, both of whom are about fifteen years older than she is.  Peggy inherited a 200 acre family farm in Earlysville, Virginia, and she raised her family there when she was young.  Peggy was given everything she ever wanted in life……..education, career, family, home, wealth, prestige, everything……….and it shows in her attitude towards the world.  Eaton was apparently an extremely charismatic person, and was the center of the world to everyone he met.  At some point in their young marriage things started heading south.  Apparently Eaton’s charisma attracted other women, and apparently Eaton liked the diversity of those women, so there was a certain amount of extra-curricular activity in their marriage.  Peggy did not seem to appreciate this (rightfully so) and bailed on the marriage, taking the two children with her. (does this sound familiar?)  The part of the story to this point that I will never understand is why Eaton felt the need to do this if he had a beautiful, young, wealthy wife and a promising career, probably because I will never understand why I did what I did.  Peggy painted the picture of a very amicable divorce and was, apparently, according to her, open minded about Eaton being a part of their children’s lives, without any fight at all.  Eaton continued his promising career, but apparently also dove deeply into a career of alcoholism as well.  Peggy moved out of the farmhouse with the children, and was a single mother for almost ten years.
   Marcelle used to tell me throughout the course of our marriage that she always held her mom on a pedestal for being such a strong, independent single mother.  The way Marcelle always explained this to me made it very clear that this was not a description of how she viewed her mother, but instead a warning to me…………………….she was saying, “if you ever fuck up I have no problem filling the shoes of my own mother, because it is the only way I will ever be able to live up to her.”  I have noticed that in my thirty five years of existence on this earth that daughters have this stigma as mothers of needing to live up to whom their own mothers were.  I took this warning very seriously.  In fact, it always scared the shit out of me and I subconsciously knew that my path was going to be similar to Eaton’s…………….minus the wealth and successful career. 
   Eventually Peggy met Mike while in grad school at UVA, and they were married and started a small architecture firm.  Today it is very large and makes the family a shitload of money.  Marcelle came a short time later, followed by her little brother.  At some point during the early years of Peggy’s second marriage, Eaton sat in his office in his farmhouse, put a gun in his mouth, and blew his head off………………..I do not know why.  Maybe it was regret, maybe alcoholism, maybe depression.  He was successful, well liked, had two beautiful children, and would never need to worry about anything in life.  Some things we are never meant to understand.
   I have spoken to Peggy on a few occasions about her marriage to Eaton and his death, and there was one thing that stood out in my mind………………….she had no remorse what-so-ever for Eaton’s death and came across as very cold and very calculated in what she said.  It gave me chills.  My instincts told me that something just didn't add up.  I have learned in the last two years that instincts are very important, and when it comes to bad things such as this, people usually ignore those instincts.  But something about the entire story just seemed wrong.


“What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true today may turn out to be falsehood tomorrow.”
                                                                                                     ~Henry David Thoreau~


   After Marcelle and I split up I started researching Peggy’s past, and found that I knew someone who was friends with Eaton, and who knew the family during the time of their marriage.  I must protect that person’s anonymity in this writing, but what they told me scared the ever living shit out of me.  In short, he felt Peggy was exactly what my instincts had told me……..a cold, calculated, highly intelligent, dangerous woman.  Funny thing is during my marriage to Marcelle I always loved Peggy.  She was the only one in the family who ever told me I was a good father.  She was the only one I ever felt believed in me……………which is why writing this post breaks my heart, because I truly loved Peggy very much and fully trusted her……………………….that trust was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life.
   The first time I met Mike I thought he was a complete prick…………my viewpoint of him never changed, but unlike him, I always made an attempt to develop a relationship.  He never even gave me a chance.  When Marcelle and I moved away to WNC together, he and Peggy came to visit.  Mike refused to come in the house because Marcelle and I were living together and we were not married.  This made no sense to me.  It went against everything he claimed to stand for.  Mike’s father was a very well known politician.  His name was Mitch and he was one of the longest running representatives in The House of Delegates.  He was well liked, well respected, and had an impact on VA Laws for almost four decades……………he was also extremely left wing.  If you think about it, that is amazing, considering he rose to popularity in the 70’s and 80’s in an extremely conservative state.  If Mike truly believed in what his family stood for, then why the fuck would he have a problem with Marcelle and I living together out of wedlock?..........I will tell you why, because she was living with me.  Mike never once gave me a chance.  After all, I did come from the other side of the tracks.  I did not come from wealth, and I did not come from prestige.  Marcelle's family has a very strong social circle around them…………and it is also very small.  They do not like outsiders, and are very careful about who they let come into their circle.  I assume that his distaste for me came from the fact that he had no choice but to let me in.  Marcelle decided to go slummin’ during college, and ended up falling in love with a dirt bag kayaker.  This drove Mike crazy.  He had no control over my presence in his, or my presence in his family’s life.
   Here is where things get strange.  Marcelle’s older brother and sister are married to a brother and sister…………………take a minute to put that together because I know it is confusing.  Even more, the brother and sister they married come from an even wealthier Charlottesville family than theirs.  Mike loved the son-in-law and daughter-in-law he had gained from that end.  Holiday after holiday, vacation after vacation, I watched him develop a relationship with them, all the while casting me aside as a nobody.  He knew what he was doing, and I think Peggy did too.  It is why she went out of her way to be nice to me.  She could see that I did not enjoy the time I spent with their family, even though I tried endlessly for Marcelle, because I truly did love Marcelle with all my heart.  I just hated a lot of what surrounded her life.…………….I mean who would enjoy family time in my position.  Every time we drove to C'Ville I needed to prepare myself to be belittled, ignored, and made to feel like the black sheep.  After all, I came from very normal financial means, and I had very little to add to their family dynamic.  By the final years of my marriage/relationship, I hated visiting CVille, but I did it every time with a smile on my face because I loved Marcelle, and Marcelle’s family meant everything to her.  In 2009 we visited or went on vacation with her family 21 times.  I seriously feel that is way too much.  (That doesn't even include the times they came to visit us) 
   Mike is a scary dude.  He owns one of the world’s largest antique chainsaw collections, which is actually pretty fuckin’ cool.  I tried to relate to him through this……….nothing.  He lived in a tee pee for two years when he was young.  I tried to relate to him through this……………….nothing.  He traveled through the Stikine Wilderness as a lumberjack in his early twenties.  I tried to relate to him through this…………………nothing.  I tried everything, and the only conclusion I came away with in the end was this………………..if he could have killed me with his chainsaw and gotten away with it, he would have.  Mike hated me from Day 1, and never gave me a chance.  Remember earlier in the story when I said that Marcelle was going to C'Ville a lot in the final year of our marriage and it was causing a problem…………well, now you know why.
   Our marriage began to unravel in the summer of 2010 due to one particular conversation I had with Marcelle about her father, however that atomic bomb will have to wait for a later post, because it is exactly that…….an Atomic Bomb.  But after that conversation, weird things started happening that made me realize one thing………………wealthy people don’t deal with their problems.  They brush them under the rug, ignore them, tune out the people involved, and pretend that everything is normal.  When you do this again and again, year after year, you eventually end up having your past come back to haunt you. 
   In the Fall of 2010 I was at a wedding for one of Marcelle’s best friends.  Weddings were a normal occurrence for us, and they were always done up to the full extent.  I mean, we are talking six figures here.  It never impressed me.  I never understood it, but then again, I truly hate wealth, money, and materialism.  It makes people be people that they truly are not.  It takes away the realism from this world.  I was standing on my own watching Marcelle dance with her friends at the wedding, when all of a sudden a woman whom I had never spoken to approached me from behind.  The conversation that followed went like this……….

Woman:  “Are you having a nice time.”
Me:  “Why yes, thank you.”
Woman:  “Well, that’s good."  (then a long, uncomfortable pause.)
Woman:  “There is something you need to know.”
Me:  “Oh, what’s that?”
Woman:  “Your wife’s family hurts people.  They have done it their entire life.  They do bad things and then ignore the outcome of their actions.”
Me:  “ummmmm”  (I was thinking “what the fuck is happening here.  I must be drunk.”)
Me (trying to figure out what to say):  “That’s my wife you are speaking about.”
Woman:  “I just need you to know that your wife and her family hurt people.  They always have.”

   Then she walked away, leaving me standing there alone, uncomfortable, stunned, and wondering what the fuck just happened.  I couldn't figure out why it bothered me, but it did.  There was truth in her voice, and she seemed genuinely concerned about me.  I am not going to sugar coat things here…………I went to the bar, took a shot, then went outside to the car and talked about rivah safety with one of Marcelle’s friends.  Whatever that woman had done fucked my head up.  I just couldn't figure it out, but it was bizarre, and I was determined to find out the truth of why she did what she did.
   At the end of the night Marcelle, myself, Peggy, and Marcelle’s best friend all drove home in the same car.  Now, I am not one to handle situations like this well, so I did the one thing I shouldn't have done.  I told Marcelle about the incident in front of her mother and best friend.  The look on Peggy’s face when I asked about it was sheer terror.  I thought she was going to throw up right there in the car.  I knew something was up, and I knew it wasn't good.  The family had secrets, and they were deep and dark, but Peggy played it off like she had no idea why I was told what I was told. 
   A few weeks later Marcelle and I sat down in the privacy of our own home and talked about what had happened.  She could tell that I was bothered and she needed to clear some things up.  She told me that the woman, who I knew to be the mother of one of Marcelle’s close friends, had been Mike’s best friend growing up.  Mike married Peggy, and the woman married another man.  The four of them were best friends and were always together.  According to Marcelle, one day the four were no longer best friends, and the other man divorced his wife and moved away.  The four never spoke again.
   It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what went down between them.  I couldn't believe it, until I started to look at everything involving the situation……………..Mike and Peggy never touched each other, at least from what I saw.  They never showed intimacy, or love, or anything else.  It was always like watching two business partners work together, which, ironically, they were.  The family was close, and on the surface it looked like everything was perfect, but something always seemed strange.  Now, I have a theory, and before I tell it, it is important to remember that this is my theory, and nothing else……………
   Peggy fully controls everyone in her life, especially Mike.  Mike knows this and seems to accept it without any questions.  It is what makes Marcelle so controlling.  It is not her fault; it is just the example that was set for her.  I never blamed Marcelle for the way she was.  Peggy most likely had the same control over Eaton, especially after they had children.  Eaton eventually had enough and strayed from his wife.  (I theorize this because I relate to it perfectly………..at this point you all know what I did, so this shouldn't come as a surprise)  Peggy was cheated on and left Eaton, like any controlling woman would. (as opposed to communicating, talking about things, and sometimes realizing that the children should have an impact on her decisions)  When she married Mike the same control came into play.  Well, eventually Mike became tired of the control and sought refuge in the arms of his best friend, which is understandable.  Either Peggy found out, or the other party found out, but Mike was busted.  Once this happened, Peggy was stuck between a rock and a hard place………..cheated on once and everyone points the finger at the man, but cheated on twice and people may start to question what the woman is doing to cause this re-occurring problem.  Peggy is smart, and she was smart enough to understand that.  So if you can’t leave him what do you do…………………………you own and operate him for the rest of his life!!!!, and that is EXACTLY what she did.  Yep, told ya this situation was FUBAR! 
   After Marcelle and I were separated, I came to the house one day to see the boys and Mike sat down with me on the back deck to talk about the situation.  During the conversation he said to me that I needed to realize that I had married a woman who was going to be in charge of me no matter what, just like the woman he had married.  I couldn't believe it.  He was admitting to me that he had given up long ago.  I asked him if he had ever been in the position I was in, and he responded yes, and said that when he was he had a decision to make………. go at it on his own, or accept who his wife was.  Then I asked him a question that I wish I had never asked…………I asked him if he was happy.  His response dictated so many choices over the next four months of my life, choices that set the course of our divorce.  Mike responded, “Sometimes.”  Then there was a long pause.  He looked at me, saw the look on my face, and said, “actually, most of the time.”  I knew he was covering his tracks.  I couldn't believe it.  This man who had everything was admitting to me that he spent his entire life owned and operated, and in the end he was happy “sometimes.”  The conversation scared the shit out of me.  Had it not been for that conversation I would have run right back to Marcelle, because I had missed her since the day we separated.  (The Fourteenth Street Whore was an overwhelming disappointment by then, and I realized she was not even a shadow of Marcelle, but we will come back to that.)   I don’t know why I even listened to him.  I never trusted him, but I was so lost I didn't know what to do, or who to turn to.  I wish I had never had that conversation. 

   Mike and Peggy unfortunately play a bigger part in the story than they should, and I truly am heartbroken at how my relationship with them ended.  They hate me, and they will do anything to keep their grandchildren away from me.  They have convinced themselves and their daughter that I am not fit to be around the boys.  This just isn't true.  I am a good father, and during the short time I was “allowed” to be a single father, I was damn good at it.  But that wasn't enough for them.  You take kids away from their fathers when the fathers are a danger to the children, not as revenge for betraying your family.  I hurt their daughter, and I will live with that regret for the rest of my life, every moment of every day.  It was the worst mistake I ever made.  But my boys didn't do anything wrong, and they shouldn't have to suffer.  Please, please don’t ever keep children from a father who wants to be there.  It just isn't right.  It destroys people, and it hurts the children.  I miss my boys so much it physically hurts, and I know they miss me.  I have to get back to them………somehow, I have to make this right.


"My Lost Love, My Lost Child"
I wonder what you're doing
and how you're living life
what new things did you learn today
and how did you sleep last night
did you feel raindrops on your face
or sunshine in your eye
of all the questions left unknown
the biggest one is why
why can't we be together
why can't I watch you grow
why can't I guide you through this world
this I just don’t know
but I promise we'll be together
no matter how long it seems
just know your always in my heart
and always in my dreams
~Garrett Wheeler~


See ya on the rivah.......................hopefully livin' life to the fullest.   PEACE