Monday, September 16, 2013

Round 3: My Mother



"Men are what their mother's made them."
                                             ~Ralph Waldo Emerson~


   My mother is terrified of the water.  She was never able to swim very well.  Any water over her knees makes her freak out.  When I was little she would wade in the water at the beach up to her knees, but never any farther.  I watched her do this year after year while sitting on a raft or boogie board, waiting to get slammed by the next wave in water well over my head.  I always wondered why she never took swimming lessons or learned to swim.  Instead she made a point to teach me how to swim when I was very young, and now most of my life exists around water.  I think it is sad that she is now in her sixties and still doesn't feel comfortable around the water.  It is sad that her son has been a river guide for over a decade and she has never once gone on a rafting trip with me.  It is sad that her son was an Aquatics Director and significantly increased the swim lesson program in an African American community, but was never able to help his own mother overcome her fear. 
   Why do I start off Round 3 by telling this story?………..because it represents who my parents are perfectly.  My mother didn't understand the water and was scared of it, so she wanted to have nothing to do with it.  Basically, anything in this world that my parents don’t understand they want to have nothing to do with.  It scares them to have to encounter something new.  They are terrified of the world outside their own little bubble, so they push away all that is foreign to them.  Basically, at this point, they have closed themselves off so much that most of the TRUTH in this world seems dark and evil to them………….this logic makes someone like me my parents worst nightmare.  They are terrified of the life I am leading and who I am becoming more and more every day.  And remember that anything that scares them is something they want to have nothing to do with, which means they want to have nothing to do with their own son.  They want to have nothing to do with me.
   I first noticed the fear that exists inside my parents when I was very young.  It wasn't anything in particular that I remember, but I remember that I identified that my parents were not normal very early on in life, and I think I subconsciously disconnected myself from them.  It wasn't until recently that I confirmed what I had identified when I was younger.  Over the past year, I had conversations with four different people that I grew up with about the normalcy of my family.  All four agreed that my family was bizarre and I seemed very confused a lot as a kid, and people thought I was messed up because of how confused I was.  I never realized that people viewed me as a messed up kid, and now I am even more self conscious about it since realizing this. 
   My sister turned out normal in my parents eyes……….mainly because she is exactly like them.  That is how we were raised…….to be exactly like them.  My sister is Obsessive Compulsive.  I remember lying in bed every night listening to her go through the house and pull all the doors shut three times before she went to bed……..she did this every night for our entire childhood.  My parents never found this bizarre………I sure as hell did.  Now that she is an adult, she does everything the exact same as my mother did when we were growing up.  And she will be exactly like them until the day she dies………..which means she can see how her entire life is going to be before she actually lives it……that’s sad. 
   I didn't write this post simply to bash my family.  I love my mother very much, and I miss her every day.  I know she doesn't understand me or care to understand me, and I don’t blame her for this.  I was pissed off at her for a long time, because I didn't understand why she turned her back on me.  I know now she had no choice.  When Marcelle and I were separated my parents needed to make a choice……….support me and fear Marcelle taking their grandchildren from them, or turn their back on me, support Marcelle, and have a relationship with their grandchildren.  Obviously they chose the second option.  There are a lot of things over the past two years that have broken my heart, but losing my mother was one of the things that broke it the most.  You cannot imagine the pain that exists inside when you have to accept that your own mother doesn't like you or want to be around you.  I never got past it.  Don’t think I ever will.  I continue to desperately go back to her and try to have her understand me, but every time my heart breaks even more, because every time she is colder than she was before.  I get really mad, and usually say something that I don’t mean, which only justifies to her that pushing me away was the right choice.  I just wish she could see that when I am hurt I get mad…………………I just wish everyone could see that. 
   My father doesn't matter.  He means nothing to me.  I don’t think he ever did.  I always viewed my father as being a coward.  When I was younger there were no bonding experiences between him and me.  We never worked on cars together, or hung out for a day of just the guys.  He just wasn't interested in me.  I used to go outside and kick the soccer ball up against the house for hours.  This pissed him off like no other.  I was only supposed to hit the bricks with the ball, but a lot of times I would hit the wood on the house, and he would come out and yell at me for it.  Sometimes I did it on purpose just to piss him off.  I did this for years.  Not once in all those years did he ever come out and kick the ball with me, or even talk to me.  We never talked about the birds and the bees, or girls, or sports, or anything else.  He just never seemed interested in me.  If you asked him about me today, he would say he was a good father and that I am rewriting the history books of our family.  (He actually said that exact thing to me not long ago)  But remember, perception is reality, and this is the reality I saw as a kid.  But my reality was never important to my father.  Only his was.    
   Not long ago during an argument with him I asked him why he never wanted to teach me anything when I was growing up.  He responded that I never seemed interested in anything.  I was ADHD and struggled as a kid.  What kind of a father uses that as reasoning when looking his own son in the eyes knowing he has suffered his whole life trying to keep up and just pay attention long enough to feel normal.  It was due to that response by my father that I gave up on any relationship that we ever could have had or will have.  When he said that, it hurt.  I was a little fucking kid.  I couldn't help how I was, and I have a hard time with it to this day.  Ever since that day I have viewed my father as a cowardly and emotionless asshole, and I have no intentions of ever attempting to recover my relationship with him.  He missed out on having one cool as hell son, and that is his loss, not mine.


"My father said there were two kinds of people in the world: givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better."
                                                          ~Marlo Thomas~


   My mother is different though, and she truly did break my heart.  I mean, what kind of a person are you if your own mother doesn't even see the good in you.  She tells me she loves me, but I feel that she only does it because she is supposed to.  Her actions say something very different.  They tell me that she can’t stand even the thought of me.  None of the decisions that they have made in the past 2, no, I take that back, in the last 20 years make any sense to me.  When I was in high school they were right there beside me, supporting me through being the good student, star athlete, etc.  When I went to college I fucked up, and my parents were not around much.  After college I moved to Harrisonburg and bar tended for a year.  I will never forget that during this time I went eight months without speaking to my parents.  Not because we were mad at each other, or any other reason.  They just simply never called or visited, or anything else…………for eight months.  Maybe I am wrong here, but when you are 22 years old it just doesn't seem normal to go eight months without speaking to your parents.  I think they were just glad I was gone and wasn't a hassle to them.
  That pretty much sums up how I saw my parents viewpoint of me……..a hassle.  From the time I was in middle school, all I did was piss them off and disappoint them.  Now, here I am a thirty five year old child, and they still treat me exactly the same.  I don’t think they ever believed that I had the ability to be a successful father.  Maybe they see Marlow as a second chance to create a success story.  Maybe my only job in our family was to produce two great kids, and then move to the side so that everyone else could raise them…………the point is, I don’t think my parents ever believed in me.  When my mom turned her back on me she kissed me on the forehead and told me that she wasn't worried because she knew I was a survivor.  Well, you were right mom, I am surviving, and that is about all I am doing.


"If you learn how to forgive others for not being strong, then people can learn how to forgive you for your own issues."
                                           ~T. D. Jakes~

 
   My parents became very involved in my life again once Marcelle and I had children.  I was a success, and I had given them something to show off to the world, just like in high school.  Back then I was the good student, star athlete, etc.  When we had kids I was the good father, husband, and successful family man.  They were right there beside me, willing to support me in every way.  When Marcelle and I were divorced, they were gone again.  Are you starting to see the picture here?
   I don’ think they have any idea how much pain I hold inside.  This is not an amusing post, and there are no witty jokes about this situation.  Like I have said before, I feel dead inside, and thinking about the past relationship with my parents, and my mother turning her back on me makes me sad……..and it makes me cry.  I miss my mother.  I needed her in the last two years, and she just wasn’t there.  In her mind, I was an adult, and she didn’t need to be.  However, she taught me one very important lesson, and it is a lesson that I have learned for my boys.  One day Marlow and Quint will read this (although both families will do everything they can to censor it from them).  I want them to hear this message loud and clear……….I will never turn my back on either of you.  No matter how old you are, no matter how successful or unsuccessful you are, no matter how much you may say something to hurt me, or hate me, no matter how angry you may be at me, I will never turn away from either of you.  I may not be there right now boys, but I want to be, and I will always want to be.  Please don’t hate me.  I don’t want it to be this way guys.  I will always be your father, and I will always love you, unconditionally and without any judgment……forever. 
   I am building this foundation because my parents play a large role in the story that is about to be told.  They have a major influence on the decisions that I have made in life, the mistakes I have made, the successes, and the way I am as a father, son, and person.  I love my mother very much, and I don’t ever want to hurt her again………….but I know this post will do exactly that.  I am sorry mom.  I really am.  I am sorry that I failed you and that I am who I am.  I know you are not proud of me.  There isn’t anything to be proud of.  I just wish it were different, but it isn’t.  It never will be.


"A mother's love is peace.  It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved."
                                                               ~Erich Fromm~


I don’t want to see ya on the rivah today...........so be safe out there.    PEACE



P.S.  If you are reading this and you have a mother out there, please call her and tell her how much you love her.  Tell her how much she means to you.  If you never get anything else out of The Island Chronicles, at least get that.