Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Tribute to Greg

   The James River paddling community lost one of the best last week.  After a brief battle with cancer, Greg Hawkins passed away.  Greg built the VCU Outdoor Adventure Program, was a sponsored kayaker, and most importantly, was one of the most humble people I have ever met.  He was a talented paddler, friend, educator, and river lover.  I did not know Greg well, but it was always good to see him in passing at the takeout and to catch up with him.  Over the past week, I have read a lot of stories about peoples memories of Greg, and one thing is clear.........Greg was a great man, and his spirit will always live on in the James.  Most people told stories of their experiences being educated by Greg through the OAP program.  I was never involved with the program, so I knew Greg as a paddler and a friend.  When he passed away, I thought back about the experiences I shared with him, and two came to mind.  The funny thing is, in both situations Greg taught me something about kayaking without me even knowing it.  That is the sign of a great paddler.  Here are those experiences.
   The first time I really got to know Greg was in 2010 after returning from Asheville.  We were able to compete against each other at the second annual Dominion Riverrock.  This was the year of the epic ramp competition. Little did we know that it would be the height of kayaking at Riverrock, and it was an amazing once in RVa experience.  Where else can you boof 20 feet into a stadium like setting of 3000 people.  For those of you who missed it, here is a quick look back.  


   Greg was in the orange kayak doing back flips.  I loved the fact that Greg competed because he was the only one older than me, which made me feel better about my ability to survive the competition.  (Seriously, it was the hardest hit I have ever taken in a kayak.......and we all did it about 30 times.  Greg was a beast!)  However, it wasn't the ramp competition that I learned from Greg.  It was in the Boatercross competition.  
   Boatercross is a downriver slalom race that is head to head in heats of five.  Greg and I drew the same heat in Round 1, and I was excited to compete against one of the best.  When we left the starting gate I found myself in front, thinking I was a bad ass because I was out paddling a legend.  However, in all his humbleness, Greg was thinking instead of paddling, and schooled me well at the first gate.  As I made my turn, I realized that he was cutting inside of me and using me to bank off the turn.  He had set himself up to be behind on purpose, which was genius.  We came around the turn, Greg banked off of me perfectly, and I never saw him again.  He finished about fifteen seconds ahead of everyone and barely broke a sweat doing it.    

About to get schooled by the best







   What I learned from Greg that day is patience pays in kayaking.  When we bomb through something without thinking about it we lose all perspective, and life rushes past us.  When we slow down and think about the things we do, plan ahead, and humble ourselves, we see the big picture and reap the rewards.  Greg cruised to an easy victory on this day.  Meanwhile I took a beat down in the hole and was disqualified.  The best of the best won that round, and I have never been so proud to take a severe ass kicking from someone.
   The second memory I had of Greg came the next year on the Upper Yough.  I had stopped at Nationals with some friends to watch the carnage.  After a few minutes I saw Greg lace is way effortlessly through Nationals and turn on a dime into the eddy, throwing a perfect duffek stroke, not because he wanted to show off (like most who throw a duffek.......like RVa's little red headed leprechaun), but because it was the right stroke to throw at the time.
   Last week I read a comment by Jared Sieler about Greg that said he had the smoothest style around.  I noticed that style that day, and I agree.  Greg was a beautiful paddler to watch.  He made big rapids look effortless, and was always smooth as silk on the river.  I still remember thinking that day on the Yough that I hoped to one day paddle as smooth as Greg.  I have worked hard on my style, and will continue to throughout my paddling career.  I am proud to say that Greg has always been one of my inspirations.
   Greg will be missed by so many.  To all those who knew him well, I truly am sorry for your loss.  It sucks, and it wasn't fair.  I believe that we lose the best of us first, and Greg was the best, at kayaking, friendship, and life.  He did more in his short amount of time on this earth than most people do in two lifetimes.  I continue to enjoy reading the stories from people all over the country who had their lives touched by Greg, and it is amazing to read all that he did.  Thank you to all who have shared their stories.  
   The last time I spoke with Greg was about a month before he passed away.  When we spoke, the only thing he was concerned about was my happiness.  That was Greg.  He just wanted us all to be safe and happy.  He truly was a great leader and a great friend.  I didn't even know Greg well, but he still took the time to read my writing and check in with me, even after receiving his diagnosis.  I still can't believe he would go out of his way to check in when he was so close to the end and had so many people to say goodbye too.  Thank you Greg.  You have no idea how touched I was by that conversation.  The last thing Greg ever told me was how much he missed the James River and missed his home.  I promise you Greg, we will never forget, and you will forever be a part of the James, this community, and the heart of every paddler on the river.  Rest in Peace buddy.  You will be missed.  

 
Greg Hawkins, flying with the angels
  
“You were born a child of light’s wonderful secret— you return to the beauty you have always been.”
               ~Aberjhani, Visions of a Skylark Dressed in Black~